Welcome to Built Green!
Come to a free "Orientation" at 9 a.m. Tuesday, MArch 11!
Washington Built Green® has brought forth the new Statewide Checklist, at our quarterly meeting in Olympia on Tuesday, March 4. The new checklist was adopted in Whatcom County, pending this announcement, and is now posted on this website under the Going Green tab. Or just click here!
Tuesday, come to 1650 Baker Creek Place, 9 a.m. to noon, for an orientation with Ted Clifton, our state BG president. Ted will take us through the new checklist, explaining how it works. This session is free -- please bring with you any builders or designers you work with who need to know how Built Green® certification operates. To attend, just shoot an RSVP to before Tuesday.
CONGRATULATIONS to 2 Built GREEN® MEMBERS!!
The BIAWC has named DEBORAH TODD of Building Design Services as the 2013 "Built Green® Builder of the Year," and RODD PEMBLE of SSC as the "Built Green® Associate of the Year." Congratualtions, and a hearty thank you for all your support!
HOME & GARDEN SHOW Feb. 29-MarCH 1-2
Dean Rofkar and Phil Dyer are putting our booth setup together -- we need volunteers to run the booth during the show! Any takers? Come have a good time (there are wine AND beer tastings this time) -- contact Linda Twitchell to get on the list, 671-4247 or .
The new statewide checklist is almost complete -- final touches were added at a state Built Green® meeting Jan. 30. Whatcom Built Green® voted Jan. 13th to require 3rd party vertification at the 4- and 5-star levels of the new checklist, as we have before. We also voted to require any builder who hasn't certified a BG project before to meet early in his/her project with the designer, client and a 3rd party verifier, to go over the plans and see how BG principles can be applied. Veteran participants think there's great educational value in this.
As soon as state sends out final copies, the new checklist will be posted under the Going Green tab above. The manual will be e-mailed to members.
Built Green® Board – SHIFTS to quarterly meetings
JOIN US at BIAWC’s 1650 Baker Creek Place
11:30 a.m. the 2nd Monday of January, April, July, and October.
Anyone interested is welcome to attend -- bring a lunch!
What is Built Green®?
Built Green® of Whatcom County encourages environmentally responsible building and construction by certifying homes that meet specific criteria.
This program is administered by the Building Industry Association of Whatcom County, using a checklist-based system. Various levels of certification are possible: typically, the higher levels require that the project be inspected and documented by a certified third-party verifier to ensure accuracy.
Working in conjunction with professionals from all realms of home building, in addition to the building departments for both the city and county, the Built Green® program sets its own criteria for certification. Whatcom County's Built Green® program certifies new single-family homes and remodels.
Projects that are certified through Built Green® have demonstrated achievement in several areas of environmental responsibility:
Preserving natural processes through responsible site and water management
Lowering operating costs through energy-efficient equipment and systems
Reducing toxins and pollutants for a healthier indoor environment
Minimizing waste by careful materials selection and jobsite recycling
Built Green® Mission Statement
To work in partnership to create safer, healthier and more efficient homes, reduce impacts of construction and development, and improve and protect the valuable community and natural resources of Whatcom County.
We will achieve this by:
• Using a voluntary, market driven approach.
• Delivering a credible standard for home construction that reflects the Building Industry Association of Whatcom County’s commitment to building
better communities through environmental responsibility.
• Providing information and education to enhance the capacity of our design and building professionals to employ effective technologies, products,
and practices to achieve the standard.
• Actively promoting the features and benefits of these practices to homebuyers, making Built Green® the preferred consumer standard.
Built Green® Certification Process:
- Join Built Green® -- to certify a project, you must be a "builder/designer/ developer" member. You do not have to be a BIAWC member to join.
- Attend an orientation session. Call the BIAWC office for dates.
- Enroll your project -- including payment and a preliminary checklist.
- Hire a Verifier before building if you want Built Green® 4- or 5-star certification.
- To complete certification when construction is done --
• Submit final checklist signed by builder.
• Submit verification documents if certifying as 4- or 5-star.
- Receive a Built Green® rating and certificate!
To see our current checklists, click on the "Going Green" tab above.
We have an agreement with Whatcom County that Built Green-registered projects will receive fast-track permit treatment. The city of Bellingham's "Bin-Bump-Up" program honors 4- and 5-star Built Green projects.