Welcome to Built Green
What is Built Green?
Built Green® of Whatcom County encourages environmentally responsible building and construction by certifying homes that meet specific criteria.
This program is administered by the Building Industry Association of Whatcom County, using a checklist-based system. Various levels of certification are possible: typically, the higher levels require that the project be inspected and documented by a certified third-party verifier to ensure accuracy.
Working in conjunction with professionals from all realms of home building, in addition to the building departments for both the city and county, the Built Green® program sets its own criteria for certification. Whatcom County's Built Green® program certifies new single-family homes and remodels.
Projects that are certified through Built Green® have demonstrated achievement in several areas of environmental responsibility:
Preserving natural processes through responsible site and water management
Lowering operating costs through energy-efficient equipment and systems
Reducing toxins and pollutants for a healthier indoor environment
Minimizing waste by careful materials selection and jobsite recycling
Built Green® Mission Statement
To work in partnership to create safer, healthier and more efficient homes, reduce impacts of construction and development, and improve and protect the valuable community and natural resources of Whatcom County.
We will achieve this by:
• Using a voluntary, market driven approach.
• Delivering a credible standard for home construction that reflects the Building Industry Association of Whatcom County’s commitment to building
better communities through environmental responsibility.
• Providing information and education to enhance the capacity of our design and building professionals to employ effective technologies, products,
and practices to achieve the standard.
• Actively promoting the features and benefits of these practices to homebuyers, making Built Green® the preferred consumer standard.
Built Green® Certification Process:
- Join Built Green® -- to certify a project, you must be a "builder/designer/ developer" member. You do not have to be a BIAWC member to join.
- Attend an orientation session. Call the BIAWC office for dates.
- Enroll your project -- including payment and a preliminary checklist.
- Hire a Verifier before building if you want Built Green® 4- or 5-star certification.
- To complete certification when construction is done --
• Submit final checklist signed by builder.
• Submit verification documents if certifying as 4- or 5-star.
- Receive a Built Green® rating and certificate!
To see our current checklists, click on the "Going Green" tab above.
We have an agreement with Whatcom County that Built Green-registered projects will receive fast-track permit treatment. The city of Bellingham's "Bin-Bump-Up" program honors 4- and 5-star Built Green projects.